Saturday, October 9, 2010

From Top To Bottom... #113-#114

My birdwatching has been a bit sporadic this fall. But between family and work I have managed to catch some short forays into the outdoors. Today was one of the Autumn days that makes you want to bask in the October glow. I had a few hours so I headed over to the Beach City Wilderness Area to see what might turn up. I wasn't disappointed! Coming around a bend in the road I saw a tell-tale fluttering out of the corner of my eye. Binoculars up and I saw my first White-crowned Sparrow.

White-crowned Sparrow, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Further down the road I parked along the way beneath a canopy of oak and berry producing trees. Quite a few birds were working the area. Downy and Red-bellied woodpeckers, Robins, Jays, Cardinals and then something different caught my eye. Flitting about like flycatchers in the foliage was a grayish bird with streaked flanks and white wing bars. A sudden turn and the bird presented itself: Yellow-rumped Warbler. Turns out there was a small group of about 10-15 of the birds from what I could see.

Yellow-rumped Warbler, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Well there you have it. Three hours and two new birds. Good day ;)


View Beach City Birding 10/9/10 in a larger map


Photo Credits:

White-crowned Sparrow - Wolfgang Wander
Yellow-rumped Warbler - Alan D. Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment