Saturday, January 1, 2011

Out with the old.... #131 - #132

Well it's the new year, but I had two more birds in before the end of last year. Final count...... 132!!!!!!!!!!!! What a great year. I didn't make my second goal of 150 birds, but I think I did pretty good considering I started in June as well as having our third child in June! The last two rascals to wrap it up?

1) Wilson's Snipe

I saw a pair of these wonderful winter shorebirds on a back country road dipping about in a spring fed stream. The stripes on the back and detailed pattern on the flanks are particularly cool, as is the long beak and small body. A good bird.

2) Rough-legged Hawk

On the same back road though on a different day. It's so nice to see something that's NOT a Red-tailed Hawk! Of note was the dappled gray back, a bit of white on the rump above the tail (similar to a Northern Harrier) and the bold black band at the end of the tail underside.

So there you go. 2010 all wrapped up with a bow on and 2011 staring us in the face with the promise of more birds to come. I hope you enjoyed my voyage to the New Year. I know I certainly did. Tune in in 2011 to see where I can take it from here. I can tell you this, I know where I'll be come May. It's Warbler time....


Photo credits:

Wilson's Snipe - Alan D. Wilson
Rough-legged Hawk - Walter Siegmund

No comments:

Post a Comment