Thursday, July 1, 2010

#51 and #52 - Hawk or Swallow?

Morning

Had a brisk walk this morning attempting to combine exercise with birding. It is a little difficult to get far enough out of Sugarcreek to see new birds. Did manage to have a good look at a Belted Kingfisher, an Indigo Bunting and lots of the usual morning birds. Just when I thought the morning was over, outl popped a juvenile Cooper's Hawk right in front of the elementary school! It posed very nicely in a low branch as I watched from beside a brick wall. So much so that I left before it flew off.

Cooper's Hawk, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Afternoon

Identified a Cliff Swallow along Salt Creek TWP road 629 during lunch. I LOVE these small country roads there are so many birds moving. Spotted a meadowlark again and, though it is most likely an Eastern Meadowlark by range, it sure seemed to have white sides. I can't put this one in the books until I hear it sing! Also missed an ID on some kind of falcon... sometimes I wish there were just no other cars on the road!

Cliff Swallow, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Photo Credits:

Cooper's Hawk - Patrick Doheny
Cliff Swallow - Dori

No comments:

Post a Comment