Saturday, July 24, 2010

Odd Birds.... back to #83

Yes, we birders are a strange lot. Up in the wee hours of the morning to stand beside a road or in some pest infested swamp wearing our geek goggles and staring up into the trees. We say things like "Prothonotary" and "Passerine" as if everyone should know what that means. But one thing you can count on however, is that when you meet a birder, you almost always meet a great person. Today was no exception.

It was an early meeting of some odd birds on the northern end of the Clear Fork Reservoir this morning. Arriving for a last desperate chance at a Gallinule sighting, we combed the surrounding lily pads and swapped wars stories until 8:30am. Joan and Clare Harding are mother and daughter birders from the area and had quite a few birding exploits under their belts. Bill Flanegan is a frequent visitor to this sight and it was the second time I've had the privilege at meeting up with him. He works with local wildlife management in the Ontario area and added some color to the morning by inviting a remarkable friend of his to swing by: Gary McNeely is a world class woodcarving artist, taking frequent awards at high level competitions. Gary is a man of detail and passion for the beauty of birds. What an enjoyable time celebrating our admiration together!

(Click on the photo to get a better look at Gary's masterwork.)

Now, on to the OTHER birds... First things first. After second thoughts and reconsideration I don't think I can be 100% positive I sighted the Purple Gallinule rather than a Common Moorhen. So.. I took it off my list. Today was just as much of a struggle to get the BVD (better view desired). No Gallinules were forth coming and the three new birds I saw today were just as frustrating. I just can't be sure on any one of them. My suspects: Spotted Sandpiper, Solitary Sandpiper and Red-shouldered Hawk. As so often happens I must return to watch another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment