Tuesday, July 6, 2010

#63 and #64 - A "Fly" in the Ointment

Morning

Took a 1 hour excursion to the Norma Johnson Center, just east of Sugarcreek, Ohio. I went right to a spot where, previously, I had heard (but couldn't manage to see) an Acadian Flycatcher. This morning proved a lot better! The bird, danced around me in the canopy for awhile but finally perched on a bare pine branch, affording me a very good view. Observed him singing both his "pweet-sa" and flight twitters. He had a tendency to jitter his tail while perched, not a full bob like a phoebe, but rather a little vertical shake like he had the shivers.

Acadian Flycatcher, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology


View Acadian Flycatcher in a larger map


Afternoon

Came up short this afternoon. The jury is still out on the meadowlarks I keep seeing. I have just not heard them sing, and therefore cannot be 100% sure of what kind they are. Hopefully we'll get that song soon!

Evening

Ran down to Lowes to get materials for a backyard bird feeding area... What do you know, I picked up bird #64 on the wires along the parking lot. Finally saw the trustee and familiar House Finch, beautifully colored and singing joyfully. Came home and got the post in the ground, all ready for feeders. When I get the whole area done, I'll post some photos and hopefully the first few birds that come to the feeder!

House Finch, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

So tell me, what birds have you seen today?

Photo Credits:

Acadian Flycatcher - Public Domain
House Finch - Ken Thomas

2 comments:

  1. THIS morning I saw one very soggy black vulture sitting miserably just outside of the dog pen (with tarped lid) where our 25 broiler chickens were huddled together for warmth during the storm! Right behind him sat the reason we don't have a bird feeder anymore -- Little Ms. Ivy -- black cat terror to birds!

    ReplyDelete