Monday, July 12, 2010

Yes, Grasshopper... #74-#76

Oh what an awesome morning. God was so good to me! Between 6:00 - 9:00 there was a three hour window of no rain and I was able to slip up to the Dundee Grasslands along Yackey Drive, east of Dundee. There I once more pursued two birds who, until this morning (mu-ha-ha-ha), had eluded me. After an hour or so of standing along the roadside and wading through wet, tick-infested grass I did manage to catch a fleeting glimpse of a Prairie Warbler. You can see from the map that a portion of the grasslands is thick with young pine trees about six to twelve feet tall. This is the perfect cover for birds and those shy, sneaky warblers are incredibly difficult to see. They seem to know how to stay just on the other side of what you can look past and taunt you with their bright singing.

Prairie Warbler, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Somewhat satisfied I got back in my car and shifted south a little ways. Driving with my window down, I quickly heard the song of the Grasshopper Sparrow (my other target). If you haven't heard it, their song is very thin and hi-pitched... uh, think grasshopper or cricket. Like a cricket it can be hard to tell exactly which direction they are singing from. By now I no longer cared about the ticks - I just wanted my bird! So, off I went, tromping through the field. As I neared the birds it was easier to tell which direction they were singing from. Before long I was surrounded by Grasshopper Sparrows singing from areas all over the field. I had several decent views of them perched on long woody grasses and low field bushes. I was more satisfied.

Grasshopper Sparrow, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Now, as I was tracking Sparrows across the field in the direction of the pines, I noticed I was also getting closer to a particularly loud Warbler. Raising my binoculars I spotted him in full song atop a pine! He spotted me too and darted down into the trees, but he kept singing. I shifted gears and slowly began skirting the trees for a better look. Walking all ninja-like, I alternated taking a few steps and waiting... stepping and waiting... and then, there he was! An energetic and unafraid male in full song, his bright yellow, streaky plumage filling up my lenses. I watched him chase a few bugs and flit through the bushy needles. I was VERY satisfied (yes, I whooped a little).

But the party wasn't over! On the way back toward my car I walked through the Grasshopper Sparrows again and got an uber view there too. Saw one singing his full song, even the liquid, twittering part. Now I was just a-grinin' and a-thankin' God. I pulled away and started heading home. I drove around the corner just in time to see a Meadowlark flying a few hundred feet away. Now, I STILL hadn't heard AND seen one, so I pulled over and rolled the window down. CHA-CHING! Eastern Meadowlark thank you very much! Can you tell I'm happy? All this and I was back by 9:00, the kids still sleeping and me on time. Yeah it was THAT good.

Eastern Meadowlark, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology


View Dundee Grasslands 7/12/10 in a larger map

Be blessed! I leave you with this wisdom:

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese"


Photo Credits:

Prairie Warbler - Dominic Sherony
Grasshopper Sparrow - Dominic Sherony
Eastern Meadowlark - Alastair Rae

2 comments:

  1. Jealous~ I have never seen a warbler! How do you know their songs? CD of bird songs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I bought Stokes Audio guide - really helps! Plus I have learned a lot from Greg. Sometimes I see and hear a bird and figure it out from there. Sometimes I already know what I'm looking for and listen to the audio before I go out.

    ReplyDelete