Friday, July 2, 2010

#53 and #54 - The King and I

Morning

Went walking at the Norma Johnson Center this morning. Some very nice trails and lots of birds singing away in the early sun. I heard, but missed, an Acadian Flycatcher but did manage to pick up a definitive ID on a Field Sparrow (I'm still slowly working my way through the sparrows).

Field Sparrow, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Afternoon

A lunchtime drive through the country turned up an Eastern Kingbird sitting on a barbed-wire fence by a farm pond. Two exciting yet inconclusive sightings also. The first was probably a female American Kestrel. The banded head was there and the strongly barred back, but the rufous coloring was just not apparent. It's size, as well, seemed to me larger then what I've seen of kestrel photographs. I was tempted to say Prarie Falcon, but that would indeed be a rare bird here. I'll have to try and find it again another day. This was the second day in a row I managed to see this bird in the same area so I remain hopeful of another sighting.

Eastern Kingbird, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

I spotted a second bird of prey soaring high overhead. It repeatedly whistled high, ascending, two-note cries: "kur-ee, kur-ee, kur-ee". I think this may be a Red-tailed Hawk, though, when it was within sight, I didn't notice a rufous quality to it's tail at all. I did happen to see a large nest, high in an oak tree below where the hawk was circling.

All in all some good outings today!

Photo Credits:

Field Sparrow - Public Domain
Eastern Kingbird - User:Mdf

No comments:

Post a Comment