Monday, July 26, 2010

The Birder Strikes Back - #84

In this action packed episode we go from the backyard to the back marsh, bringing you some of the many faces of birding adventure... and, yes, a new bird too!

We'll kick things off with a first reveal of my backyard bird feeding project. I built this whole array by hand including the feeders. The tube feeders are made from a roll of Rat Wire capped with a soda or tin can on each end. You pass an aluminum wire through the whole assembly and curl one end. Gravity holds it all together. The roofed tray-feeder on top is made from cedar with some bamboo shoots for perching. It's a really simple design I built based on a hopper feeder design from the net.

The cedar tray feeder with simple roof.

One of our first customers!


From here let's check out some of the cool place I've birded lately!


Beach City Wilderness Area

Clear Fork Reservoir

Clear Fork Reservoir

Wright Marsh at Killbuck


And now, on to this morning's search! I spent a wonderful dawn at Wright Marsh in The Killbuck Marsh Wildlife Area. Lots of birds in the area: Yellow Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, Great Blue Heron, Wood Duck, lots of common birds. Today I also redeemed Saturday morning and got a great look at a Solitary Sandpiper.

Solitary Sandpiper, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

The chase continues!


Photo Credits:

Solitary Sandpiper - Len Blumin

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nathan,

    I was wondering if the pics of the birds on your blog are taken by you? Or do you just get them off of the internet? Thanks.

    Cole DiFabio

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get almost all of the photos for my blog from wikipedia commons. They are released for public domain use.

    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

    Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On this particular blog entry however, I took all the photos except for the sandpiper :)

    ReplyDelete