Saturday, July 17, 2010

No really... it's rare, colorful and walks on water! #79-#82

Ok so, I'm really wiped out. What happened this morning? I have a vague recollection of throwing down some Wild Turkey getting a little Kuckoo, catching some Flies and turning Purple... What is this nut-so thing we call birding?!? Up at 2:30 so I could be north of the Clearfork reservoir to lay eyes on a rare bird. I'll tell you what it is... totally awesome!

!!--- NOTE: I removed the Gallinule from my list. (See this post) In retrospect I realized that it might have been a Common Moorhen that I saw. I was so excited that I forgot to raise my binoculars and go through the process of ID-ing accurately. Lesson learned. --!!

All silliness aside, it really was a beautiful morning. Picked up a tip from the Ohio Ornithological Society list-serve that a pair of Purple Gallinule had not only shown up in the area but had nested and where raising young! What a great little slice of habitat, and just around the corner from the Ohio Bird Sanctuary as well. Right as I pulled in a fellow birder was hitting the same spot. It was great to meet a fellow enthusiast. Bill Flanegan proudly showed me some photos he had taken of the birds, which may even show up in the next addition of the Bobolink. Two hours later, Bill had to leave and I was losing hope when, out of the blue, one of the youngsters walks right across the road! I would have loved to see the adults, but it wasn't to be. What a moment though!

Purple Gallinule, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

The morning was filled with other delights as well. As a matter of fact I almost ran right into my first birds of the morning: A Wild Turkey hen and her chicks, crossing the road in the morning light. And I thought I was going to have to wait in one of my friend's backyards. Doesn't it seem like everyone has a story to tell about turkeys that show up every morning in their backyards?

Wild Turkey, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

My next bird really was a surprise and actually there were two. Flitting about the branches of a stand of trees, was our mystery brown and white bird. At first blush I thought thrush or thrasher, but there was no dappling on the chest and the thick bill and lack of pattern throughout excluded them both. A little head crunching and Kuckoo crossed my mind. I quick flip through my guide and "eureka!" we had ourselves a Black-billed Kuckoo. Over the next two hours the pair of them purred and chortled around the area.

Black-billed Cuckoo, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

My last find of the morning was very satisfying. I had seen on previous trips a bird that I thought was a Willow Flycatcher, but I could never really be sure. This morning was different, because this morning I watched them singing in all their glory. That "zzzwik-burrr" is such a cool call! There was a very healthy population in the area along with Red-wing Blackbirds, Eastern Kingbirds and a handful of Warblers.

Willow Flycatcher, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

So there you have it. A sunrise in the marsh on a cool morning and four more birds to my list. What a way to start a day.


View Clearfork Birding 7/17/2010 in a larger map


Photo Credits:

Purple Gallinule - Bruce Tuten
Wild Turkey - Wing-Chi Poon
Black-billed Cuckoo - Wolfgang Wander
Willow Flycatcher - Jim Rorabaugh/USFWS

No comments:

Post a Comment