Wednesday, July 7, 2010

To See and Not Hear, To Hear and Not See...

... This has been the case 'twixt me and the Eastern Meadowlark. After three inconclusive sightings and no song, today I had the pleasure of hearing the song afield but never laying eyes on my quarry. Need I be so strict in connecting the two? Perhaps not, but I always like a strong ID.

I wish I could say it's only been the case with the Meadowlark. Unfortunately this is not so. Today was a double header of hearing two of my target birds, but leaving with no satisfaction. My other foe? The wily Wood Thrush is an adept at staying concealed. He came within several yards but not a branch stirred. There, in the misty morning wood, surrounded by swarming mosquitoes, I tipped my hat: Wood Thrush 1, birder nil.

Bird on, people... bird on.

No comments:

Post a Comment